Saturday, June 4, 2011

A Baby-Guru is born!

So I couldn't sleep last night. I kept thinking about how my dream business is hitting a little bit of a stalling point. I have so many good ideas and great aspirations, but recently no motivation. I guess it has a little to do with the past two clients who have cancelled services, and a lack of interest in my current location for education on parenting topics, AP lifestyle choices, or doula care.

As I lay there last night thinking, I went over in my head the many different things that I have been doing recently, and how they all relate to the greater mission that is my business model. For one, I am in training as a birth and postpartum doula. I have over 10 years experience in child care, and I love to make crafty things for kids. Currently I'm working on hair bows and custom ribbon belts. My overall business model was to incorporate all these into one full-scale operation that was a sort of 'one stop shop' for anything a pregnant or new mom, or even a veteran mom looking for options in raising her children or adding to her family could need.

And so the idea was born. Someone once said 'Ya know, you're kind of like a baby-guru'.. and that has always stuck with me. Just like my good friend calling me 'super mommy' that is one thing I will always remember. So I looked up the name, and sure enough there is only one other 'Baby Guru' out there, and she doesn't do a lot of what I am looking to do. Plus, she's in Los Angeles so I don't really see any competition issues unless I decide to re-locate (NO, I am NOT moving to LA.. ever!!)

It's going to be a lot of work, but I have tons of motivation and plenty of ideas.

1.) I'm keeping Kiss My Kid, but in the form of KMKDezines, which will be for my creative outlet
2.) I will be offering volunteer Doula services in my local area
3.) My blog should start having articles on baby care, natural and alternative parenting tecniques, product recommendations, etc
4.) I want to start a 'Mommy and Me' class in my local area. There isn't a decently priced one nearby..
5.) Parent education classes- these include infant safety, cloth diapering, breastfeeding support,
6.) In-home parent consultation- how to deal with issues like sibling rivalry, discipline problems, childproofing, etc

So to make a very long conversation with me in which I went crazy figuring out how to change over my website, facebook, and everything else.. things are changing over here and The Baby-Guru is working its way from the bottom to (hopefully) the top! Please join me in celebrating finally figuring out my path in life, and working to make it everything I have dreamed of and more!!

Please, follow the blog.. 'like' my facebook page (I don't have 25 likes yet so I don't have a URL, just look up The Baby-Guru) and keep a lookout for my new website. I should have it set up soon!! Let me know what you want to read from me, what topics you are interested in, and I'll try to get some good articles up soon! Love all my fans! Thank you!!

9 comments:

  1. Just read this article: http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/what-are-a-surrogate-s-rights--ct-woman--211138554.html. I'm so proud of you for what you did. I know that God is smiling on you, this little baby and the wonderful family that is loving on her now. I pray you don't regret giving her up to another family. I'm praying for all of you...So blessed by your story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the TheCondrads. Kudos to you. What a painful journey you have endured. You have sacraficed so much to give this babay a wonderful gift. I jsut found the article today and have been scouring around the internet to find a way to contact you or at least find out about the surgeries? Has baby S been able to have surgery for her cleft lip/pallete? I work for a nonprofit whose purpose is to provide free facial reconstructive surgeries for children with clefts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crystal,

    God bless you for your sacrifice and for loving this baby. May you inspire many others to do the same!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Mom Surro Doula. Its good to finally meet the hero behind it all. I came across your story on CNN. I was appalled by peoples reaction. They were quick to judge you. They even forgot that you were 21 weeks into the pregnancy when the couple decided they would rather put you and the baby at risk.

    I really can't say thank you enough for the gift you 've given that child and for your bravery through out the entire ordeal that the couple put you through.

    You have won our hearts with your acts of kindness.

    Even in the face of temptation you pulled through and i laud you for that. Most people don't realize that there is a thin line between right and wrong and they don't know how much effort it took.

    You are very much loved in our hearts and i speak for supporters with me over here.

    If there is anything i could do,i will be very much pleased to give my help and support esp towards Baby S.


    Regards
    Gerald

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too am saddened by how people have reacted to your story. I applaud you for your choice and for the courage it took you to do it, and for putting it out there for the world to see!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a mother of 2 and I can honestly say that I don't think I could have done what you did. You are a very strong, brave and inspiring woman. You have touched a deep part of my soul and I thank you for that! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, I came here from your other blog, and wanted to send you a supportive note. I am currently pregnant with a baby who will have many of the problems baby S has. My son has trisomy 18. And while I don't have the legal pressures you did, many, many people in my life have tried to get me to abort my son. You did the right thing for that baby. I know you didn't tell your story to get accolades and applause, but you deserve both. Thank you for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just happened to come across your story about baby s. I wasnt able to post on that blog. U deserve nothing but praise. She will thank u (& love u I'm sure), when she is older. Please update when she is one..and maybe again when she is a bit older if u can. Its just an amazing story..would love to see an updated pic of the lil cutie pie as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, I am late in reading your story, but I just want to hug you! And commend you, and all who aided you, as you bravely fought for that child!
    I have a question for all of those opposed to your efforts, which basically is, if you think its fair, and justified to terminate a life due to medical reasons, then when your doctors diagnose you with cancers and other ailments later in life, in turn should we rally to elect a new age Dr.Kevorkian and simply end your existence...you know since no human being should have to suffer?
    Pray for strength to endure, and let this child live as happily as she can.

    ReplyDelete